Mental Health Assistance Programme for Employees
Posted on October 23, 2018
I am sure you are aware of the current impact mental ill health is having on our society; but if not, here are a few key facts;
- One in four people will experience a mental health issue in any given year.
- One in five people take a day off due to stress yet up to 90% feel unable to be honest about this being the reason for their absence. (Stigma, Discrimination) – Nine out of ten people with mental ill health experience stigma and discrimination.
- Suicide rates for male construction workers are 7 times above the national average and suicide is the leading cause of death for men under 45.
- Approximately 17 people die from completed suicide every day in the UK alone.
- 84 men take their own life each week.
- Work is beneficial to physical and mental health: periods out of work can exacerbate a mental health condition because people feel isolated, forgotten and purposeless.
In response, we are looking into the practicalities of introducing an Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) for Members to access.
An EAP is a work-based intervention programme, designed to identify and assist employees in resolving their personal problems. The programme offers support with physical and mental health issues; along with, but not limited to, other difficulties, such as financial, marital and substance abuse.
Every EAP is different, so we are carrying out research into what services our Members would like (if anything at all). One of the main programmes we are looking at is from Health Assured. You can read an overview of what they offer by clicking this link.
The main three options are:
- A telephone service which is available 24/7, 365 days per year, and acts as a one call solution. The telephone service offers short-term crisis assistance and signposts employees to the most appropriate next step.
- A telephone counselling service which is more in-depth and structured. Employees will have access to telephone counselling, with a qualified counsellor/therapist.
- A telephone and face to face service. Employees will have access to therapy sessions, face to face with a qualified professional. Along with other forms of therapy including online courses.
In order to gauge the interest levels and usefulness of implementing this service as a benefit of Membership; we have put together a short survey and would very much appreciate your invaluable feedback.
To complete the short survey, please click the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/RKBJJ5W
As part of our drive to improve awareness on mental health issues and support Members in supporting their employees; we have added a half-day Mental Health Awareness course to the portfolio our Courtley Certified courses (which are FREE to members and CITB grant-eligible!).
Thank you for taking the time to read this article and complete our survey. If you would like to discuss anything further, do not hesitate to call or email our Mental Health First Aider, Sophie Burgess (contact details below).
Email: [email protected]